Like written journals creative journals include much more than just words. You can use art and draw out images or stick images you love in your journal if they represent something to you. What I love most about creative journaling is that its focus is on self-expression. You expressing yourself in whatever way you feel like doing in the moment.
Here are a few creative ideas for your journal
Firstly, let me say, there is no need to be limited by this list. You can get as creative, bohemian and funky as you like.
1. Write poetry. Express your voice through a poem and get out what you want to say that way. I love haikus because you get to say a lot in a few words
2. Use paints, colors, stencils, pencils, chalk, bits of material. Whatever you like to create images in your journal
3. Draw, sketch, doodle, and just move your pencil around. Who knows what you can come up with.
4. Write a song. If you like to sing use your journal to write music in so you can look back on it. You could write your whole album in your journal 🙂
5. Create a collage. Put bits together – have it be an image that makes sense or one that doesn’t
I love to write. Words are my thing. Sometimes through I feel compelled to be a little more imaginatively creative and that is when art helps me.
I have never felt the need to have a journal for different aspects of creativity. I like to keep it all in one although as I write more poetry I have been thinking about having a poetry journal. Like writing a journal, creative journaling helps you to get your feelings and thoughts out of your head and onto paper so the best way to see if this is for you is to use it, experiment with it and see what happens.